Search This Blog

Monday, December 9, 2013

RULES by Cynthia Lord

RULES  by Cynthia Lord
Published April 1, 2006 by Scholastic Press
208 pages
Rating 5 out of 5 stars
I read a purchased copy (signed by Cynthia Lord)








This book is a realistic fiction book and it is really exciting.   It is about a girl that has a little brother that has autism.  The sister's name is Catherine.  The brother's name is David.  Catherine makes up rules for David since he has some trouble with his behavior. One rule is "Don't put toys in the fish tank".  David sometimes doesn't follow the rules that Catherine makes for him. 

David goes to a speech therapist every week.  Catherine goes with him sometimes and there is a boy in the waiting room every week that Catherine starts to hangs out with.  His name is Jason and he is in a wheelchair.  He uses a speech book because he can't speak.  As Catherine gets to know him better, she discovers that he wants more word-pictures in his speech book.  Catherine is an artist and offers to make more picture words for Jason. They develop a really good friendship.  

At that same time, a new family moves in next door to Catherine. There is a girl Catherine's age that Catherine wants to meet. When Catherine and Kristi meet, they become friends.  But Kristi is a little more "popular" than Catherine and doesn't always understand that people are different. As the book goes on, Catherine needs to make some hard decisions. 
In this book there is a mix of family, friendship, and love.

I am glad that Cynthia Lord wrote a book about a girl with a little brother with autism. RULES reminds me of me and my little brother.  I don't make rules for him but he is seven years old and has autism. I sometimes get annoyed with him, but he is the best thing that has ever happen to me and I love him to pieces. 

I would recommend RULES for kids in grades 4 through middle school.   

Cynthia Lord describes her book Rules in this trailer. 

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this wonderful review, Molly! I'm honored that you read my book and very proud of you. My best wishes to you and your whole family.

    Sincerely,
    Cynthia Lord

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting. My mom and I LOVE RULES. I can't wait to read your new book.

      Delete
  2. Molly, I love Rules also. I think I most appreciated that Cynthia Lord was real about Catherine's feelings--she didn't try to smooth it all over and pretend everything was happy. I think it's an important book for kids to read because it helps them think about what it means to accept other people's differences. Thank you for sharing your review of a great book!

    P.S. I noticed several of your favorites are on my list of favorites also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Melissa. I like how Catherine is real also. I can't wait to see what her next book is about.

      Delete
  3. Another great read! I like how this book shares what it is like for someone who has an autistic sibling. I think lots of kids could relate. Another great part of this book is the hard decisions you mentioned. Great job Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I loved this book too! Cynthia Lord has another book coming out soon that I can't wait to read? Do you think you'll read her new one too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. Yes, I would like to read her new book as soon as I can get a copy. Unless my mom steals it first.

      Delete