Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Cay

The Cay by Theodore Taylor
Originally published in 1969 
Republished in 2003 by Laurel Leaf Publishers.
144 pages
Rating 5 out of 5 stars

I would like to say thank you to the wonderful teacher who read this book with our class.  This is dedicated you.



This book is one of my favorite books of all time.  When my teacher read it to us it felt like I was inside the book, it was amazing.  There is this boy named Phillp and he lives in Willemstad during World War 2.  The Germans took over the town of Curacao.  Phillp's mother took Phillp with her on a ship.  During the time on the ship they got torpedoed.  Phillip and his mother got separated.

All of a sudden Phillp was on a raft with a man named Timothy.  Phillp didn't like Timothy at first.  Timothy has an accent that many people can not understand.  While on the raft, Phillp just stared at the sun all day and eventually he lost his eyesight.  He could not see anything.  Then, Timothy spotted an island.  They went on the island and strange things happen. Some parts are sad, happy, and surprising. Can Phillip find his mother and get home? 

I recommend this book to people who like books that are about adventure and friendship.  I loved this book and you will too.
Isn't this an "outrageous" review?

7 comments:

  1. What a great blog! Keep reading and keep writing, Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly! I am thrilled that you have reviewed The Cay! I LOVE this book! When I was s sixth grader I read it over and over. It would seem that we have similar taste. :-) Thank you for this great reminder of how much I love this book. Even now, I get a chill when I read the last line. It's a gem for sure--and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Molly! I only read this book this year and was finishing it whilst on a plane...and the tears were streaming down my face!! I loved the writing and the story, I agree it made me feel like I was actually in the story.
    I found your blog through your mum's post on the Nerdy Bookclub. Keep up the awesome work, I'm writing all the way from New Zealand! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the dedication Molly. I am so glad you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the dedication! I am so glad you enjoyed the novel. Master V would be proud!

    ReplyDelete